What is MedLaunch?
MedLaunch is an open source (MIT) Windows frontend for the multi-system emulator, Mednafen.
So What is Mednafen?
Mednafen is an open source (GNU GPLv2) cross-platform command-line-driven (no UI) multi-system emulator that currently emulates the following systems:
- Atari Lynx
- Neo Geo Pocket (and Pocket Color)
- Bandai WonderSwan
- Nintendo GameBoy (and GameBoy Color)
- Nintendo GameBoy Advance
- Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom Disk System
- Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Super Famicom
- Nintendo Virtual Boy
- NEC PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 (and PCE-CD)
- NEC SuperGrafx
- NEC PC-FX
- Sega Game Gear
- Sega Genesis/Megadrive
- Sega Master System
- Sega Saturn (experimental, x86_64 only)
- Sony PlayStation (PSX)
For most emulated systems it supports save states and real-time game rewinding.
So Why Do I Need a Frontend?
You don't. But most people will find a frontend easier.
Mednafen is launched from the command-line and utilises config txt files. Without a frontend you have to edit the config file(s) manually and launch mednafen from the command-line every time specifying the path to the ROM/Disc Image that you wish to run. Or you can create batch files for each game.
- No installation required (and all data is kept in the MedLaunch directory)
- Responsive Metro UI
- Local (SQLite) auto-generated database where all settings are saved
- Supports Mednafen versions 0.9.39.x through to the latest
- Nearly all Mednafen command line parameters available and configurable
- Mednafen controller configuration available using DirectInput and XInput (changes are saved directly to the mednafen config file rather than MedLaunch database)
- Built-in games library (with system filters and dynamic search)
- ROM scanner (for games library import) with NOINTRO/TOSEC matching
- Manual and Auto disc import (disc games must be in their own sub-folders within the system (PSX, SS, PCFX or PCECD) folder)
- DISC scanner (for games library import) with custom DAT matching based on game serial number (detected from disc image)
- Auto-M3U platlist generation for multi-disc games
- Supports the usual Mednafen rom and disc formats
- Supports multiple ROM files per archive (7zip and zip) - (no archives within archives and no subfolders within the archive)
- Games library sidebar for game info, stats and media (with the option to hide certain columns on a per-system basis)
- Scraping of game data and media from thegamesdb.net and mobygames
- Built-in netplay server selection
- Built-in browser control with links to Mednafen help pages
- Ability to hide mednafen cores completely
- Customizable color scheme